Three decades after Jimmy Carter donned his famous cardigan and asked us to go on an energy diet, the US is consuming more than ever. In this episode, BackStory takes on big oil (and big whales, trees and water)! Historian David Nye discusses the origins of our gluttony for energy, and historian Anne Norton Greene explains why the “Age of Steam” was also the Age of Horses. Join us on our power trip!
- Brush up on consumption and production of different energy sources.
- Find out more about the new Energy Secretary.
- Read a review of Anne Greene’s “Horses at Work.”
- Learn about our complex relationship to Technology.
- View the 1953 video “A is for Atom.”
- Watch Jimmy Carter’s 1977 energy crisis speech
- Powering the 18th century